Monday, April 4, 2011

Anaerobic Threshold Training

Being the fanatic guy that I am when it comes to training, the Monday after my competition I went through everything I did wrong.  The one thing that stuck out in my mind was my Anaerobic Threshold.  Your Anaerobic Threshold or A.T. means without oxygen, you have lactic acid building up in the muscles and cannot get it out quick enough to perform at a peak level.  The best way to address this, is to train at your A.T. and to build up your tolerance to sustain this for the duration of your specific sport.  In my case, 5 minutes all out balls to the wall!  The million dollar question is how will I improve this? First you have to figure out what your A.T. number is(V02 Max test is the most reliable), then you train at this specific number in a interval fashion until you are able to sustain and control the heart-rate.  This is not an easy task.  So, more running on hills, 30/30 circuits within a 5 minute time-frame, and more rounds on the mat.

No comments: